Educators and Aspergians

As some of you have seen, we are constantly updating the www.johnrobison.com website in our quest for . . . . well, I'm not sure what the quest is for. But anyway, we're on the fourth iteration of the website.

And in this one, I have introduced something new and important . . . a letter to educators about my book, and a downloadable teaching guide.

(As of 2018 teacher guides for Look Me in the Eye and Be Different are available on the JohnRobison and PenguinRandomHouse websites)


I've written before about Look Me in the Eye being adopted by colleges, and how it's unusual that it's been taken up so fast. But it has, and all over, too. At real universities - not the kind that advertise on matchbooks. Well, OK, we have some of them too, but mostly they are legit.

Anyway, at Elms College Dr. Kathy Dyer is teaching from my book in the autism program and she's also doing a program the University of Massachusetts


She and I have worked together, slaving away, day and night, under extreme adverse conditions, to prepare this guide. Just for you. And anyone else who downloads it.

The guide is meant for college faculty who want to use the book to teach graduate students about autism and Asperger's. Kathy's course, for example, is ideal for special ed teachers, counselors, and mental health workers. My book presents a number of key concepts in a friendly, understandable, and entertaining manner. At least, that's what she tells me.

If that's true, those of you with autistic kids may find value in having your local school people read the book.

I cannot personally assure you that your kids will benefit if their teachers read the book, but I'm reasonably certain that it won't have any nasty side effects or cause them harm later in life. Reading my book is sure to be much less risky than many other alternatives. Especially the alternatives that involve power tools, explosives, or space flight.

And they may find it entertaining, and they will certainly see autistic kids in a whole new light.

Comments

Anonymous said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Kanani said…
Hi John,
Great idea. I think there's a lot of value for aspergerians to be telling their stories, rather than everyone else associated trying to do it for them. I know the intent is good, but I think your words might have a lot more depth to another person with it, a teacher, spouse or friend.

Sorry I haven't posted lately. I've found your posts so complete, I've had nothing to add!
John Robison said…
Well, Kanani, the teaching guide is a way to get my book into classrooms, where it will tell my story. That's the whole point.
Drama Mama said…
I am so excited for this! Thank you, John. I'm bouncing in my big black office chair. This will help so many of our teachers - and students.
We all send you a collective Woof.
John Robison said…
Drama Mama - don't bounce too hard. I did that here, and the damn chair broke, and I had a sore tail for a week.

Popular Posts